Search This Blog

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

April 7, 2009

Flashback Blog: The Parable of the Sandwich

All good things must come to an end. Life goes on. Insert bland maxim here. As the long-standing housing situation breaks up and we each go our separate ways, I thought it only fitting to commemorate the time spent together by revisiting a tale from months back--a typical day at the Trace.

Friday afternoon
5:53pm
"The Trace"

Ben: Whew! Another day of non-stop excitement at the bureaucracy office in the books. Nothing to do now but kick back and enjoy a few hours of reading before bed. I've almost finished that new grammar textbook I checked out from the library. Almost too much excitement for a Friday evening, I tell ya. But, hey—you only live once. First, though, I've got to get some dinner. [checks fridge] Ah, yes! The other half of my Publix sub left over from lunch. That'll hit the spot. Almost as good as the ol' S&S cafeteria. [unwraps sandwich] There's no better way to wind down after a hectic day than sitting down to a peaceful meal at home.

[door flies open]

Tony: WHOOOO! I tell you I killed my quads in the gym. Squat 400 pounds 13 times. I was only supposed to do a set of 10, but these girls were, you know, watching intently, so I grinded out out 3 more for good measure. Didn't want to disappoint.  You ever try the squat rack?

Ben: I...yes.

Tony: Boy it'll do a number on you. I feel great. [drops down, does forty pushups, jumps back up, throws down a two-liter protein shake containing several clearly live goldfish] Whew! That was a good appetizer, but my stomach is about to eat itself.  I need food.  Fortunately I still have--[stops abruptly at the sight of the sandwich]--what's that?

Ben: Publix sub.

Tony: That's not my Publix sub, is it?

Ben: Nope. My Publix sub.

Tony: [checks fridge] Dude, that is my sub. There's no other sub in here.

Ben: This has to be mine. I left it there not six hours ago.

Tony: All I know is I left half a sub in here yesterday, and I definitely didn't eat it since then. I had a 9-egg omlette for dinner and 16 waffles for breakfast.

Ben: I think you're confused.

Tony: About a sub? No way. My memory regarding sandwiches is like steel trap. Here, let me take a bite, I'll tell you for sure if it's mine.

Ben: Get away! That's my dinner!

Tony: It's my sandwich!

Ben: Mine!

Tony: Mine!

Jay: Children, please.

[Tony and Ben look around abruptly]

Tony: How long have you been standing there?

Ben:  And why are you wearing a robe?

Jay:  I heard your calls of distress.  And the robe is comfortable. 

Ben:  Let me guess--you crashed the server again, and you're waiting for it to recover?

Jay: [looks at floor] ...yes. But...in the meantime, I hope to remedy this conflict. Tell me, what seems to be the problem?

Tony: He's trying to steal my sandwich.

Ben: It's mine. If it isn't, where'd mine go?

Tony: Maybe you left it under a stack of books.

Ben: Maybe you accidentally blended yours in that shake.  And isn't there a dumbbell around here that needs lifting?

Jay: Children, children.

Ben: Dude, stop calling us that.

Jay: I will not. But I will resolve the situation in a manner that is equitable and fair.

Tony: Okay.

Ben: Let's hear it.

Jay: To settle this argument of who is the rightful owner of the sandwich, we will compromise. [produces a large kitchen knife] I'll cut the sandwich in two, and each of you will receive half.

Tony: [falling to his knees] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ben: Um...right. Whatever. I can't expect you to take sides. I suppose half's better than nothing.

[Jay raises knife.]

Tony: No! Don't cut it! You can't! Just let Ben have the sandwich.

Ben: Hey! All right! [reaches for the sandwich, but Jay stops him]

Jay: Wait! Tony, why did you say to let him have the sandwich?

Tony: [sobbing] Because it's wrong. I would rather let someone else have the sandwich that for it to be hacked into sad little pieces of its former self.

Jay [puts his hand on Tony's shoulder]: Compassion like that can only come from a man who truly loves his sandwich.

Ben: Do what?

Jay: Tony, you clearly are the rightful owner of the sandwich.

Ben: WHAT?!

Tony: [clutching sandwich tightly] Thank you! Thank you! Your wisdom prevails again, Jay.

Jay:  Go, my son.  Nourish yourself.

Ben: Dude...it's a sandwich!

Tony: [to sandwich] I almost thought I'd lost you! [retreats to kitchen]

[Ben glares at Jay.]

Jay: Ben, there's a lesson to be learned here. And that lesson is that nothing can break the bond between a man and his sandwich.

Ben: I hate you.

Jay: Nothing!

Ben: Yeah, "nothing." As in, "I have nothing to eat for dinner, now."

Jay: Man does not live on 7-grain whole wheat bread alone, friend.

Ben: I keep telling you, that's blasphemous.

Jay: Is it, Ben? Or is it that the truth hits close to home?

Ben: [sniffing] Why do I smell oil and vinegar on your breath?

1 comment:

Amanda Phifer said...

Ben. This makes me miss you. Wow. Well done!!!! I'm picturing this whole scene at "the Trace." Really. Impressive.

(Would even be inspiring except I'm already past deadline on a far less exciting writing assignment...)

Your friend,
Amanda