Search This Blog

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

July 27, 2009

At Long Last

I'm tempted to claim my long delay between posts was a marketing stunt. It’s not unheard of for some writers/artists/musicians to disappear from the public spotlight in order to fuel speculation and, hopefully, ramp up anticipation for their next release. No, that’s not it. I'd just alienate the few loyal readers I have (or had?).

Nor can I attribute my procrastination to my July 4th weekend injury. One, because it was on my foot, actually giving me more opportunity to write as I laid off of more strenuous activities. Also, I could have used it as a subject for a blog anyway, although I don’t know if there was much to tell beyond a photograph of the five stitches on the bottom of my foot and a warning to any barefoot lake-goers to watch out for the heads of nails protruding from aging docks. (My friend Owen captured it best: "You didn’t really step on the nail so much as you swung your foot across it.")

That awful tension that just shot up your spine and into your shoulders? That’s worse that the wound ever hurt, once I got the bleeding stopped. Matter of fact, the pain of the tetanus shot lingered longer than the ache in my foot. And truth be told, the most annoying things about the ordeal were the facts that I (a) couldn’t go running for two weeks, thereby derailing my mud run training, and (b) it is harder than you think to walk around without bending your foot or rolling up on your toes. I looked ridiculous. Moreso.

But enough of that. You want a blog post? Here’s what I got:

The more organized a party is, the more fun it is to crash. Case in point, a murder mystery dinner night coming up in a few weeks. It’s like an evening-long fame of live-action Clue, except with much more complicated motives and characters. Everyone that comes has a role to play. One person is the murderer. One person is the murder victim. Everyone else must figure out by the end of the night. It isn’t difficult, and you don’t need any acting skills to participate, but there are certain lines to be read and objectives for most characters that need to be fulfilled for the evening to be success. Point being, the evening is a lot of fun, but also very structured.

All the better for party crashers to have some fun.

(To be continued…)

No comments: